The U.S. Constitution requires that each decade a count-or census of America's population is taken. The census provides vital information for you and your community.
- It determines how many representatives each state gets in Congress and is used to redraw district boundaries.
- Communities rely on census statistics to plan for a variety of resident needs including new roads, schools, and emergency services.
- Businesses use census data to determine where to open places to shop.
IT IS EASY!
- There are only 9 questions.
- It is available in several languages.
- Can be completed via internet, telephone, or mailed form.
IT IS SAFE!
- Title 13 requires the Census Bureau to keep all information confidential and protected.
- A census employee who violates these provisions is subject to a fine up to $250,000 and a prison sentence up to 5 years.
- By law, responses can not be used against you by any governmental agency or court in any way.
IT IS IMPORTANT!
- Billions of dollars in federal funds are allocated based on the decennial count.
On or between March 12-20, you will receive an invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census.
On or between March 16-24, you will receive a reminder letter.
If you haven't responded yet,
- You will receive a reminder postcard.
- You will receive a reminder letter and questionnaire
- You will receive a final postcard
- A Census worker will follow up person
For more information, go to www.census.gov.